Friday, August 30, 2013

Money Mind Shift Downward Spiral

I remember when the first dollar type stores came out. At first I was embarrassed to go to them. Then I thought I'd see what it was all about. I was surprised that sometimes I'd find cool things there, well worth a dollar. I started going there to pick up gag gifts, or sundries for my suitcase, or a convenient birthday card, but mostly I still shopped at box stores. It was kind of a lark to go there.

I realized I had a big mind shift the other day when I went to Dollar General. Generally I stick to the .99 store or Dollar Tree.  So I'm at Dollar General and they still have great deals but they are $1-$5. per item. It's still a quarter of the price of Walmart, Target, or other box stores. But in my head I'm going, 'Why would I pay $3 for this make-up when I can wait a few days and get something like it at the $1 store?' I suppose if there were a .25 Store I'd shop at it instead.  And I'm not sure when it happened, but now I can't even afford to shop at Walmart or K-mart or Target or Sam's Club or Costco. I never thought I'd fall this far out of the middle class. I never thought I'd have to scrimp and save enough to go to Dollar Tree. What's happening to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment