Monday, August 4, 2014

Gourd Art and Daily Activities

So many blessings have come into my life suddenly that I'm chasing my tail trying to be a good steward to all of them. I just can't do them justice.

Last night I dreamed I was being mauled by a leopard. So yeah, feeling a bit overwhelmed here.

Yesterday we got cages to prop up the tomato plants. I thought I had 3 or 4 tomato plants left, so I got 4 baskets. Turns out I have 5 tomato plants. But one of them is still small, so it might be a dwarf variety. In spite of starting our garden at the beginning of July, it's doing very well.

The gourd tools have gone missing so I need to get out there and help look for them. They are made for scraping out the inside of gourds.  Guy made them special. I'm sure they are in our tool container somewhere. I got 2 styles of gourds. One is to make quail figurines and the other ones are for doll faces with long noses. I haven't made dolls in a while and I'd' really like to get back to it. I bought some 'poodle' yarn recently on sale for .99 a skein and it will make great doll hair. It may be too bulky for the gourd dolls though. We'll see. It will go in my stash until the best use comes along.

Speaking of quail, we had 2 or 3 coveys with baby quail in them. The oldest ones turned into teen quail, so it's possible that they now look like adults so I can't single them out. But of all those babies there is now only one. I feel bad that the rest probably got eaten. They are at the bottom of the food chain between the hawks and the coyotes and the snakes. Makes me mad, but what can I do.

Someone is over here working on bows right now. (Bows as in archery, not bows as in hair).
I didn't realize he was coming today or I would have grabbed a shower. I didn't really need to be clean and shiny just to do the laundry, dishes and feed the chickens. He was going to come yesterday but we had rain intermittently. He is from here, but is going to school in NM. I grew up in New Mexico but haven't been there since I moved away in '69.

I hope Guy has time to make salsa today. We got all the ingredients yesterday. So much to do, so little time.

Gourd display in the Welburn Gourd shop.
Gourd Dollies
Under the oaks
Oaks at the Welburn Gourd Farm in Fallbrook, CA



No comments:

Post a Comment